Monday, May 2, 2011

The world we live in


I know I haven't posted for awhile, and I have other stuff to blog, but I just have to write this post on Twitter and the death of Osama bin Laden. Hardly anyone reads this anymore, it's basically a personal journal and I want to make sure I can tell my kid(s) and hopefully grandkids about where I was, how I found out, and tell them some jokes about it too. However, if you do read it, and think you might be offended that people were joking on Twitter in regards to bin Laden's death, just skip over the joke part at the end.
I was sitting in the bathroom using the Twitter app on my iPod while Brayden was in the tub. People started mentioning around 7:45 pm that the President was going to speak at 8:30. Multiple people in my twitter stream (if you don't know about Twitter, it's just like the Facebook news feed) started wondering and getting worried since it was late (Eastern time) on a Sunday, and definitely not a typical time for the President to speak on the television. Most people thought it would be about Libya, but that was soon denied. I should have taken this time to put Brayden to bed, but I didn't. The President was supposed to speak in 15 minutes, after all, and I didn't want to miss it.

Around 8:15 it was all over Twitter that Osama bin Laden was dead. And if reports are right, the news broke on Twitter. One, a former chief of staff for Donald Rumsfield tweeted that a reputable person told him we got Osama, but that he wasn't completely sure. Two, there was an IT guy in the same town as the compound that unknowingly live-tweeted the raid.

By this point, I had heard the news and put it on Facebook, but I still wanted to hear the President say it before I truly believed it. And so Brayden stayed up. And the President didn't come on at 8:30, or 8:45. I may be wrong but I think it was about 9:00. I think his speech was just right. He emphasized that the thanks needs to go to the intelligence and counterterrorism professionals and especially to the men who carried out the mission, as to all people who have served in the military since 2001. He let the American people know that he only ordered this to be done after being completely sure Osama was there and that the intelligence was good. And amazingly, no Americans were harmed and it sounds like there were few civilian casualties if any. That's the way it should be done, in my opinion.

Here are some of the tweets I took note of last night:

Serious, heartfelt tweets
-Bin Laden dead. May God have mercy on his soul. I am grateful for the US military and their long, patient service.
-We should also thank the many members of the CIA who carried out this dangerous mission and will probably never get any credit.
-Spontaneous singing of national anthem outside White House gates
-What worries me? Bin Laden has had almost 10 years to plan retaliation for his death. SO hoping our country stays safe still.
-He sat and laughed at the Correspondent's Dinner last night knowing that this was imminent. Balls of iron. (And then her next tweet, because Twitter limits you to 140 characters- Yes, yes, this is why I voted for him. Because he can lead. He is not perfect. But he can lead.

Funny tweets
-Mr. President, you're late.
-Got Bin Laden AND interrupted Celebrity Apprentice? Win for Obama all around. (Jimmy Fallon)
-Watching CNN stall for time is very entertaining. They have absolutely nothing to say, but they're saying it very urgently.
-Let's all take this time to thank the one person who no doubt was behind the killing of -Jack Bauer.
-So the Kenyan Muslim president got it done?
-No matter what Obama says, bin Laden's not dead until Donald Trump sees his death certificate.
-Well, at least this'll put an end to f'in Royal Wedding talk. (No, it didn't. The Today Show still talked about it in great deal this morning.)
-Turns out sending some badass special ops guys into Pakistan is a more effective way of killing Bin Laden than invading Iraq.
-I hope it turns out that Bin Laden was killed by an openly gay soldier.
-True story: Bin Laden was caught while watching "Real Housewives of Islamabad" on an 80" plasma. (Rainn Wilson... aka Dwight from The Office)

And this last one is my favorite. I couldn't wait until I finished this post, so I've already posted it on Facebook:

The military got suspicious when they found a mansion built by the Bluth Company in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

Arrested Development, baby!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I still read your blog!!