Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Moab

I don't know how many readers I have anymore, seeing as I last wrote here in February, but a few people have asked me to keep going. I don't really know where to start, but I guess I'll write a few update posts and then try to get back to book reviews, typical mommy posts, and my political rantings. For right now, I only have access to a tablet, so my posts might lack pictures for awhile.

We went on a trip to Moab in March. It was the first time I have ever been there and I loved it. I do t know why I'm always surprised when I find new places/sites in Utah that I love, but I am. We spent our first night at Goblin Valley State Park. We stayed in a yurt, which was really fun. Brayden loved exploring the "goblins." My favorite part was laying in the sand in a small canyon behind the yurt with Adam and Brayden looking at the stars. It was also nice to be so disconnected. I think the only other place I haven't had cell service for an extended period of time (more than 12 hours) in the last few years is at Adam's family ranch. 

The next day, we made it to Moab. Over the next three days, we hit Arches National Park, Dead Horse Point State Park, and Canyonlands National Park. I loved all of them. I love the park system and (political rant coming) I'm disappointed in Governor Herbert's attempts to take away what is now federal land. I just don't trust his administration to not try to make money off the land. Anyways, back to our trip. We did a lot of hiking (for us, anyways). More hiking then I have ever done in a three day period other than Pioneer Trek. I was so sore by the end of the trip, but I was glad I did it. I know it's cliche, but I think the Delicate Arch hike was my favorite. It was a little nerve-wracking to hike that trail with a three year old, but worth it. 

I also enjoyed the town of Moab. We hit up many eateries (my favorite being the Moab Brewery), a thrift store, the local library, and bookshop. On our last evening there, we took the scenic drive to Castle Valley. I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but one of my favorite non-fiction authors (Terry Tempest Williams) lives there and writes about southern Utah so beautifully that I wanted to see the town. One of the books I read on the trip was her book Red.

I really fell in love with Moab and hope I get to go again someday. I went to the children's museum in Ogden with a friend six weeks ago. In one room, they have a map of Utah on the ground. It really hit me how little of Utah I've seen and how much I want to see. I hope we will eventually be able to travel more.

No comments: