Thursday, May 8, 2008

Swell Season



A few months ago, I saw that The Swell Season was coming to town the weekend of my birthday and decided it was fate. Of course, Adam didn't complain because it made planning my birthday really simple. We took Trax downtown and ate at a Middle Eastern restaurant called Cedars of Lebanon. Every spring and fall, a number of the restaurants downtown participate in Dine O'Round, where you can get three course meals for cheaper than they normally would be. We both had hummus and Moroccan lentil soup, and then Adam got lamb and chicken shish kabobs and I had pastilla, which is chicken wrapped in Fillo dough. It was so good! We walked down to the Depot after and got in line. We had some fun people next to us, so that was nice. Unfortunately, we were not early enough to get seats with any sort of view of the stage, so we stood most of the time. And although most of the time, we could only see one of them, not both of them, it was still amazing. Glen was so funny and of course his Irish accent was adorable. I love how they say "tanks" instead of "thanks." He told hilarious stories, including but not limited to: malls ruining America, Irish perverting the English language by swearing a lot, a couple that communicates with spirits, and their attempt to visit the temple. He talked more than any other artists have at the concerts I have been to, but he was so fun to listen to. And of course, their music is amazing. If you have not seen the movie Once, see it now! I will forever be grateful to my Adolescent Lit professor for two things: introducing me to Toni Morrison's work, and telling the class to go see Once.

No comments: