Friday, February 26, 2010

Cell phones

Even with all the other forms of technology out there, cell phones are the one form of technology that can keep you "connected" to the world 24/7.

We got rid of our cell phones a month ago today, and I'm here to tell you it can be done. When we decided to cancel our phones and just have a landline, I was a little freaked out. I worried about something happening to Brayden and me possibly not being able to know about it right away. I worried about how I would fill my time on my 45-60 minute commute to work. Well, I'm just fine. Turns out there's this thing called the radio that usually has songs to sing along to, or heaven forbid I can just use the time to think and actually be alone with my thoughts.

I know cell phones have some good to them, so I'm not putting them down completely. I'm sure we'll get them again at some point in our lives, especially if we start making more money. But I'm glad we don't have them right now. It can make meeting up with people and things like that more complicated, but I was utterly too dependent on the thing and we really needed to save some money (you'll find out why in about 2 weeks).

So if you're looking for big ways to cut your budget but don't think you could give it up, you might be surprised. What I thought would be a huge deal to me has turned out to be not so hard.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

I'm very impressed. There are very few people who are willing to go without cellphones now. I didn't get one until 5 years ago, and it was great to have one, but it was very doable without, too.

And can't wait to hear what the news is...2 weeks, huh?

Kimberly said...

It is definitely a shock at first, but you get used to it. I reeeeally ike not having one now. Isn't it nice to be unreachable sometimes? Although the time alone with your thoughts can sometimes be a bad thing...well, if you are the plotting sort anyway. :)