Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Babies



If you're like most people I've asked about this movie, you've never even heard of it. I'm "unique" apparently, because I have been excited for it since I heard about it months ago. Embedding is disabled, but you can find the trailer here. It's a documentary featuring the first year of life for four babies from around the world (San Francisco, Tokyo, Namibia, and Mongolia). It's a beautiful film. There's no narration or subtitles, which was good and bad. I got to just enjoy watching the babies, but at times I did wonder what the parents were saying in the background or why certain things were being done. I definitely recommend this movie to anyone interested in anthropology (the study of humanity) or even just cultural studies. Actually, anyone who likes babies should see this, because these babies are adorable!


I know I haven't blogged about my birthday and my first Mother's Day. I was definitely spoiled last week. I had a little photo shoot on my birthday with a friend at Sugarhouse Park for a breastfeeding photography project. We went to Cowboy Grub with my family for dinner. I got many presents, including a framed canvas to finally hang up on our walls (yes, our walls have been mostly bare this whole year we've been here), photo coasters and a frame, the Hunger Games trilogy, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Best Ever Games For Kids, The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, a Cinemark gift card that I am excitedly planning exactly what movies I want to use it for this summer, and some money I am going to start a zoo membership with.

I also got this book featuring beautiful newborn photography. It has quotes alongside the pictures, and these are my favorites.


"The smile that flickers on baby's lips when he sleeps- does anybody know where it was borne?" - Rabindranath Tagore

"We all smile in the same language." -Anonymous

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." -Elizabeth Stone (so true)

"Loving a baby is a circular business... the more you give the more you get and the more you get the more you feel like giving." -Penelope Leach

One last thing in this post that is probably getting too long. Adam ordered me this necklace from the vintage pearl. I love it! Brayden already broke the chain, but we e-mailed them and they are sending out a new chain. I was so thrilled with their customer service, especially since I have had some less than stellar service with another website lately.

No comments: