Monday, September 27, 2010

I Want To Be The Kind Of Mom Who...

I have a book I checked out from the library called 101 Things Every Kid Should Do Growing Up and looking through it reminded me of a feature on a blog I like to read called Simply Radiant. I decided to copy her idea to keep track of some of the things I want to do as a mom. I really loved some of her ideas, which included having readathons, making at least one homemade gift for birthdays and Christmas (I didn't for Christmas, but made him photo blocks of his family for his birthday), participating in a mother-son book club, having trade-in coupons for Halloween candy(staying up late, a glass of hot chocolate, etc), and printing some of the toys on this Toy-A-Day blog. I also want to check these books out from the library for more ideas: 101 Things You Gotta Do Before You're 12!, 101 Places You Gotta See Before You're 12! and 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. Without further ado, here are some of the ideas I got from the book.

-I want to be the kind of mom who helps her family participate in service and make the world a better place. I love this idea for teaching children about donating.

-I want to be the kind of mom who plans fun adventures for her kids like camping in the backyard, going on "pajama rides" where you wake them up for a late-night drive and treat, etc.




I want to be the kind of mom who allows my child to make choices, decisions and mistakes. Easier said then done, right? Especially with the mistakes. I think it's important though.

-I want to be the kind of mom who lets their child decorate their own room.

-I want to be the type of mom who helps facilitate learning. For example, I want to go on a trip to D.C. and other Eastern historical sights after Brayden starts learning about U.S. history.

-I want to be the kind of mom who has fun traditions in place. I love this idea for the Christmas season and I have some ideas for fall I want to do like making caramel apples, painting/carving pumpkins, etc.

No comments: