Friday, July 2, 2010

1

I cannot believe my beautiful boy is one year old today. I'm reminded by parenting advice I received when he was a newborn: the days make feel like they go on forever, but remember that the years fly by.



I love him so much. Seeing his bed-head golden hair every morning makes me happy even if he woke up earlier than I had wanted. Seeing his toothy grin makes me grin. Hearing his laugh while I tickle his chubby tummy or thighs is one of the small highlights of my life that matter more than the "big" ones. And while I'm on the subject of his legs, they really are chunky. Chunky enough for my neighbor Ashley to mention that B's calves are as big as Bennett's thighs!



I love this picture of him. To me, it embodies the life he has ahead of him, the possibilities that await him. The way he seems to be shrugging his arms seems to be him saying "Now what?" I cannot wait to see the person he becomes.



I love seeing his little hand in mine, especially since I know he won't want to at some point. In some ways he seems so big, and in some ways he is still such a baby. I guess that is what toddlerhood is all about, right? It almost feels like my present is composed of glimpses of his babyhood and foreshadowings of his future. I love being his momma.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Oh, Megan, it's so bittersweet, isn't it? He's sure getting even cuter all the time, if that's possible.