Some of you probably don't know this, but my husband has been a pizza driver for 4 years now (usually a second job). I've learned a lot and changed my mind about many things. One of them is on my mind tonight as he's working in the storm tonight.
I wouldn't have batted an eye at ordering pizza to be delivered in a storm. Now I really think it should be avoided. And believe me, it's not. They get so busy during storms. When we lived in West Jordan, he even had to drive out to Copperton. If you don't want to drive in it, and you know it's not safe you probably shouldn't ask someone else to drive in it. If your kitchen is anything like mine, you can throw a meal together easily. Another thing is that people (in general) don't seem to tip accordingly. Not that money matters, I would definitely rather just have him home safe. On the subject of tipping, we definitely tip more now. And what's funny is that the lower income area of the two stores he has delivered for tipped higher on average. I wonder if some people don't realize that drivers don't realize a full reimbursement for gas, and maintainance does cost more (oil changes mostly, but we also have to buy tires more often that most people). It's a job though, and one we greatly appreciate. I just hope the storm isn't as bad as the news has said it will be.
For another (better written) piece on treating pizza drivers kindly, go here. NPR used to do this amazing series called This I Believe. I enjoyed listening to the podcast, and they have also put together two books of essays.
No comments:
Post a Comment