Tuesday, November 23, 2010

TSA and Glenn Beck

Yes, here comes another political post. It's a first, though, because it's one in which I agree with Glenn Beck. When the news first started coming out about the full body scanners and TSA pat-downs, I thought the fuss was stupid (honestly). I have a friend who just took a trip, however, and if what happened there is going to be the norm, I'm not happy about it. They were doing "random" selections and those people had to go through both the scanner and the pat-down, her husband being one of them. And for the 20 minutes they were in line, my friend said it was every 4th person. Not so random. I don't like either one of them really, but I get that some security has to be in place. I don't like that you apparently don't always have a choice between the two. I think you should have a choice (unless they notice something suspicious and need the other test to help verify).

I don't care as much about the radiation. It's unfortunate, but we are exposed basically all the time. That's just our world now. I don't like that the screens can be saved, but I doubt that there will be an influx of perverts trying to get TSA jobs just to see the full-body scans or do the pat-downs. In fact, I don't like that implication, because these agents are just doing their job, doing what they are told to do.

I guess, then, I don't agree with all of what I've heard Glenn Beck say. I do hope that this policy of people having to do both eventually changes. I think people have the right to choose for themselves what the lesser of the two evils is. I don't travel much, but I would choose the scanner and would be upset if I had to do both.

No comments: