Thursday, July 17, 2008

Darfur

The library system where I work has a section on the website that is updated every month with new arrivals. I saw that there was a film called Darfur Now in the documentary section, so I put it on hold. I had heard about Darfur, but didn't really understand what was going on. Well, it finally arrived and I watched it a few weeks ago. When I checked it out, my co-worker wondered why I wanted to watch something like that that I knew would be sad. I guess I feel like I want to be aware of the issues that are affecting our human race. It was sad, just like she thought. This website has a good summary of the situation.

Since the film has come out, though, steps are being made. The International Criminal Court issued a warrant for the arrestof Sudan's president. Pressure is being put on China to stop supplying the weapons to Sudan. A NY Times columnist, Nicholas D. Kristoff, wrote a column about it today: Prosecuting Genocide. Hopefully the next few months will begin to bring about an end to this horrible occurance.

No comments: