Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Roald Dahl



Doesn't he just look like the most awesome grandpa? A little crazy though, to be honest.

So do you remember my list of 50 books I was going to read in 2010? I sure do. Well, I have changed a few of them. If I start a book and really can't get into it, I've changed it. I've only done it with two of them so far. One I changed to reading all of Roald Dahl's works. Then I found out just how much he wrote- it's a lot! I narrowed it down to juvie fiction and I think I've read most of it. I really enjoyed it. He has such a great imagination. I love the message he gives at the end of Danny the Champion of the World:

A MESSAGE
to children who have read this book

When you grow up
and have children of your own,
do please remember something important.

A stodgy parent is no fun at all!

What a child wants
-and DESERVES-
is a parent who is

SPARKY!


I kinda like his anti-hunting message in The Magic Finger:

The Magic Finger- against hunting
Mr. Gregg- "We are allowed to shoot ducks."
"Who allows you?" asked the duck.
"We allow each other," said Mr. Gregg.
'Very nice," said the duck. "And now we are going to allow each other to shoot you."


It's been awhile and I can't remember which book this phrase came from but I love it: catasterous disastrophe.

I love that he was charitable: He donated all the proceeds from The Vicar of Nibbleswicke to the Dyslexia Institute in London and started the Roald Dahl Foundation which is still in place today.

And lastly, the books in general. Matilda has always been a favorite, but I also enjoyed Danny the Champion of the World and Fantastic Mr. Fox. Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes was funny, but be warned that I think it's more appropriate for older children for sure.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I LOVE the BFG!

Danielle said...

We are HUGE Roald Dahl fans at our house, and my all-time favorite children's book is "Danny the Champion of the World". I'm so glad my girls love it too. We read it together at least once a year.

p.s. I think a "little crazy" in a grandpa is a must!