Friday, April 9, 2010

The Olden Days



I am reading The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. It is just crazy to me how much our world has changed in just over 100 years. I love these stories, because they are reminding me that family is what is really important.

I have to say, though, I cannot imagine living in those times. I'm sure we could eventually adjust, but I have no idea how to make cheese, preserve meat, and all the other things Ma does to help them survive.

We went to Wheeler Farm today and it was so neat to see the farm and think about the books. There was a two week old baby goat that was so cute, and a pregnant goat due to have her baby or babies any day now.

I'm so glad we have books about what life used to be like and old-fashioned farms that we can still go to. You can even milk a cow at Wheeler Farm. This is really sad, but I've never milked a cow. That will change this year, though. I think we will be at Wheeler Farm a lot this spring and summer. I am also definitely going to read all 9 of the Little House books, and I might even request the DVDs of the show from Netflix. Nicki and I watched that show almost every morning, but we never got to see full episodes because we had to leave for school before it was over.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I loved these books growing up. Now that I'm an adult, I find the writing to be really sparse prose, but I think they're fascinating. KBYU channel 11 airs the shows each night at 6pm by the way. :-) And if you ever want company to go to Wheeler Farm, call me! We love that place!