Tuesday, January 18, 2011

911

I'll start out simply: I joined the 911 club last weekend. Everyone is fine, but I feel like I have to get my feelings about it sorted out.

I was doing laundry and went out to switch the loads. Our laundry is in a storage room right off our main entrance. Ever since Brayden learned to go down the stairs, he would make a run for it if I left the door open while I switched it. I came back in and B wasn't in the front room where he had been. I walked thru the condo and didn't see or hear him. Our condo is small, so that took less than a minute. I immediately started worrying that either I haf left the door open or he had opened it himself and headed down the stairs without me noticing. We are really close to the stream that runs thru Millcreek and Murray, so I got really nervous. I ran out the door and down the stairs over to the stream in just my socks. I couldn't see him, so I ran back up to check again. I was frantic by this point. I looked thru the condo again, deeper, calling him the whole time. Nothing. I grabbed the phone, stopped by the door and threw my shoes on as fast as I could. It felt like it had been longer, but it really had only been 3-4 minutes. I dialed the numbers I have never had to dial as I ran back outside to look again. It was definitely not like in the movies. It took forever (at least it felt like it did). I had to repeat my address twice I was so out-of-breath from running back and forth, up and down. After looking around again, I headed back upstairs for the second time. They dispatched me to the Unified Police Department and the call connected right as I opened the door to see Brayden. He was right by the door coming out from behind a coat rack and chair. I told the officer it was fine and that I had found him.

And now for the complicated stuff: my feelings about the whole ordeal. When I told Adam about it, he basically thought I had called too soon. That I should have known he can't open the door on his own yet and that he must have just been hiding from me. Well, yes, he has never opened the door on his own, but he has also never hid from me for more than 5 seconds without peeking out and saying "boo." All I knew is that there was a chance he was outside and I wasn't going to risk it. Yes, it was more logical he was hiding, but sometimes logic is thrown out the window in parenting. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

From now on, I'll be taking my key with me and locking the door when I go to switch the laundry. He hasn't hid from me again. thank goodness, but I don't want to risk that worry again.

No comments: