Monday, January 10, 2011

crock pot lovin'

This came up in my google reader last week. It reminded me that I've been neglecting my dear friend the crock pot. Here's what I LOVE about the crock pot:

-Prep is usually easier. Even if it isn't, I'm doing it in the morning when I have more energy.
-Yes, I just said in the morning. How awesome is it to basically have dinner done in the morning?
-I love using the crock pot in the summer simply because it doesn't heat up the house like the oven does.
-When I'm making a recipe with chicken in it, like I did last night, I don't have to deal with the meat much. I hate touching raw chicken!
-It's dependable. I've had my corck pot for 7 1/2 years. I got it for a wedding present. In that time, it's only burned 1 meal (and that was my fault for not realizing the recipe was meant for a smaller size). Also in that time, it's turned out many amazing meals! Here's one of them:

Tortilla Soup

3-4 chicken breasts
1 4 oz can of green chiles
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cans chicken broth (4 cups)
2 cloves minced garlic
2 TBSP sugar
3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano

Put frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot. Add all other ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. I prefer 8 because then the chicken will shred itself.

Optional toppings: cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I love crock pot cooking! It's cheap, easy, and seems impressive when you serve it. Let me know if you want to swap recipes!