Thursday, January 24, 2013

Alex Webb

Another exhibit at the BYU Museum of Art that I was pleasantly surprised by was a collection of photography by Alex Webb. From the introduction to the exhibit: Alex Webb uses his camera to explore the poignancy and color of street life, co-mingling cultures, and socio-political tension in places that fall on the periphery of Western culture.As a photographer Webb resists the tendency to merely illustrate or document certain conditions such as poverty or oppression, rather viewing his role in parallel with that of a novelist creating evocative images that reveal what is intensely tragic, beautiful, or perplexing in a particular locale.

I don't think that this exhibit had much of an effect on Adam, but it did on me. These photos are real- they have flaws. I'll admit I don't read more global literature very much, but photographs of daily life in other countries just fascinate me.





I love this photo. The spinning ball, the architecture in the background, the boys all just doing their own thing.


I am so curious about the story behind this photo! Do all of these shows belong to one woman or do they belong to many women? Why are they there?



 He has a blog called Two Looks with his wife, who is also a photographer. He'll be giving a lecture at the museum in March, if anyone would like to go with me.

No comments: