Monday, January 28, 2013
Movie Monday
The Perks of Being a Wallflower- This movie is definitely my favorite movie out of the four I have seen this month. It's based on a novel of the same name by Stephen Chbosky. It is one of the best book to movie adaptions I've seen, probably because the author of the book wrote the screenplay and directed the movie. This movie reminds me of my high school experience, even though I didn't do drugs or anything. There's a scene in particular that was me in high school. Really, it still is like me. It almost made me cry how much I could relate to it. The main character is at a dance, standing against the wall by himself, bobbing his head a little bit. He sees two kids that he hung out with once at a football game and decides to be brave, slowly making his way over to them. I know it may sound like a silly scene, but it was really beautiful.
Game Change- This movie is also based on a book that was written about the 2008 election. The movie focuses on the McCain/Palin campaign, specifically after McCain announces Palin as his running mate. I'm a political junkie, so I loved this movie. After loving Tina Fey's hilarious take on Palin, I didn't know how I would feel about Julianne Moore actually trying to play Palin seriously. She pulled it off, though. And for those who might think I loved it because I'm a democrat who hates Palin, think again. I don't like her, but this movie had an effect on me like the movie W did. I actually felt sorry for her (and for President Bush in the movie W). If the book/movie is at all truthful, she was really thrown into the fray without much vetting or preparation.
Take This Waltz- I was browsing on Netflix when I saw this movie. I hadn't heard of it before, but I saw it had Michelle Williams in it and took a gamble. It's a very interesting movie. (It is rated R for some explicit scenes at the end, which may or may not be real). This review says it better than I can. I will say one thing, though. Michelle Williams is one of my favorite actresses right now. Her performance in this rivals her performance in Brokeback Mountain, in my opinion. (This reminds me, I still need to see Blue Valentine). She has definitely moved on and up from Dawson's Creek, and that's coming from a Dawson's Creek fan.
The Queen of Versailles- This is another Netflix pick. This movie started out as a documentary of a rich family building what was to be the biggest house in America, a replica of Versailles. It ended up being about the recession, the real estate bust of 2008 (including the time share business), and a family trying to build the biggest house in America. The family in the movie is super rich. hey have maids, nannies, drivers, private jets, etc. They've started work on their new house when the real estate bust happens. Their money comes from the time share business, so they start losing. Banks start pulling out funding for a new resort in Vegas and they don't have enough to continue working on their new home. Throughout the movie, I went back and forth hating the people (fishes and lizards found dead because no one thought to take care of them with the maids gone) to feeling a little bit sorry for them (he mom compulsively buying even though she knows she shouldn't).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment