Sunday, January 20, 2013

Nativity by Brian Kershisnik

We headed down to the BYU Museum of Art last week to see a Heroes exhibit. Although the statue of Captain America holding Saddam Hussein's decapitated head was, shall I say, interesting, the exhibit was just okay. However, there were so many other things there I was so impressed with. One painting in particular really touched me.






This is a painting called "Nativity" by Brian Kershisnik.Honestly, I wouldn't have expected this painting to affect me. I'm in a somewhat resigned place with my faith right now. One of my many issues is that I don't really believe the scripture stories in a literal sense. However, maybe that is why I love this so much. This painting goes against the literal story in some ways. Baby Jesus is not "white," for one. And while it is very likely that Mary breastfed Jesus, I don't think I've ever seen an image of it in art ever before. I love that two women and a multitude of angels are present with Mary and Joseph.

I'm not sure if this is a permanent piece at the museum or not, but I recommend going down to see it in person if you can. This painting is one that you have to see in person. The magnitude of it is just astounding.

1 comment:

mkgs said...

I've seen this one, and I love it for the same reasons. My father-in-law makes frames, and he works a lot with Brian Kershisnik. I think that's how I saw the painting, actually.