Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Nerdy Pet Peeve

I'm going to fill you all in on a pet peeve of mine, which will at the same time make clear what a nerd I can be, at least when it comes to books and reading.

I just finished Dead and Gone, the 9th book in the Sookie Stackhouse vampire series by Charlaine Harris. I love some series, but not others. And the line between the two is actually quite thin. I can almost guarantee that the majority of series that have more than 5 books in it (not including Harry Potter and I'm sure Chronicles of Narnia is I would ever finish it) is a series I will stop enjoying. It may be dumb, but it actually really upsets me. Usually the characters and the storylines start getting repetitive. I hate it when I start out really enjoying a series (the Sookie Stackhouse series, the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, and the Georgia Nicolson series by Louise Rennison for example) and then give up on them because each book just seems like a recycled version of the original story. It's sad because I would recommend the first few books of all of these series. Not as great literature, but as fun reads. It upsets me because I feel like it is a waste of my time to keep reading the series, yet I eventually want to know how it ends. I feel like some authors (not just series authors, but also authors that put out a book a year or more) keep writing based on the formula that has proven successful just to make more money. They are taking advantage of their popularity. I know this proves I am nerdy, but it does really annoy me sometimes!

No comments: