Working at the library and reading as much as I do means I usually catch a book before it becomes really popular. Well, I totally missed the boat on this one. I noticed last year that it seemed to be popular, but I made no effort to see what it was about. I think the old-fashioned title threw me off. I kept hearing about it from people, and reading about it online, so I finally gave it a chance. And I am so glad I did!
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one my favorite books I have read this year. If I had to use one word to describe it, I would say it is charming.
Juliet Ashton is a famous writer who is searching for her next topic to write about after World War II. Due to a common love of the author Charles Lamb, she comes into correspondence with a man who lives in the Channel Islands. She learns of the German Occupation there, and that a group of people who put together a literary society, first as a way to get out of trouble with the Germans. It ended up being a way to cope with the Occupation and what followed.
The book is written in letters, which I really liked. I know some people don't like that though. I don't always, but it fit the tone of this book well. It's somewhat hard to keep track of the secondary characters, and in the end I didn't even bother. It's okay, because you really get a feel for the main characters. As I mentioned before, I know I am late to the game with this one... but if any of my friends who like to read haven't given it a chance, do.
No comments:
Post a Comment