I hate most morning radio shows... except for X96's Radio From Hell show. Whenever I am in the car while they are on, I usually listen to it. They do a segment called Things That Must Go, and I wanted to make my own, because a few things are bugging me.
Things That Must Go
1- This Enfamil RestFull formula -If you choose to use formula, that is fine. I know many moms rely on it for a myriad of different reasons, and I am glad formula exists for that reason (even though I still believe breastfeeding is definitely best). However, this just pisses me off! Babies are not meant to sleep the whole night right away. Their sleep cycles are different from ours for a reason. I think using this would just be for lazy parenting. I personally could never use this, even if I did use formula. I am so freaked out about SIDS and sleep apnea that even when he is asleep, I can't sleep well.
2- Gov. Herbert- I never appreciated how lucky I was, as a more left-leaning person, to have Gov. Huntsman. While he was Republican, he was able to "cross-over" on a lot of issues, such as gay rights and global warming. Well, Gov. Herbert is definitely your typical liberal. He thinks protecting gays from discrimination would be wrong. Okay, I get that some people still think being gay is a choice rather than a biological thing. However, we protect from discrimination against religion, which is definitely a choice. (And if you want an idea of how cruel some people can be, read some of the comments from that link). About global warming, Herbert apparently questions Huntsman's (and most scientists) belief that humans are part of the cause of global warming. You know what, Republicans? Even if global warming is a cyclical thing not caused by us, what is wrong with treating the Earth a little better for the sake of future generations?!
3- 3OH!3's song Don't Trust Me- Maybe it's dumb of me to let a song affect me- however, I seem to hear it a lot flipping through the radio channels because one of our presets is more of a hip-hop station (Adam's choice). The chorus has lyrics that go something like this: "Shush girl, shut your lips. Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips." I get so frustrated that a song that is so derogatory is still so popular.
Now, I don't want to just be negative, so...
Things That Must Stay
1- Glamour magazine- Last week, I saw a segment on the Today show about this story in the magazine and the positive response it has elicited. I went out and bought the magazine in order to read the article, which was amazing. It was all about having confidence and not talking or thinking negatively about your body. The issue also has an article about a new book called
Half the Sky, which argues that "helping women is the single surest way to change the world." It sounds like a good book, and I applaud a fashion magazine for having stuff like this within its pages.
2- Knowonder! magazine- When I went back to work this week, I discovered this little gem. It's a free magazine (if you can pick it up at a SL county library or other SL area locations) with a story for kids for every day of the month and also includes artwork and games. After you read all the stories, you go online and vote for your favorites and the top three make some money, which I think is great.
3- Baby swings- Seriously! Brayden will not sleep in his crib during the day... we have tried. He will however sleep in our arms, or in his swing. During the week when Adam is at work and I need to clean, I am so thankful he'll sleep in it. And it makes watching him a lot easier for whoever watches him while I am at work (thanks Mom, Dad, and Nicki!).
1 comment:
I did not realize you had a blog! I am so excited to hear what you have to say here. I will try to read more tomorrow...
Post a Comment