Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Julie and Julia



I enjoyed this movie. When I first heard about it becoming a movie, I wasn't interested in seeing it. A friend at work had tried reading the book it was based on and did not like it at all. She said that Julie Powell was arrogant and self-serving.

But then I heard who was in it. Amy Adams and Meryl Streep. I really enjoy their work. And then I saw the trailer and it actually looked like a cute, fun movie.

For the most part, it was. I love that it was also based on Julia Child's book about her time in France. If it had only been about Julie Powell's project, I would not have liked it. Because her character is a bit selfish. You can tell she adores the attention she receives from her blog. At the same time, all bloggers probably do. She even mentions that anyone with a blog is me, me, me all the time.

The movie scenes based on Julia Child's life were wonderful, seriously wonderful. The whole movie could have been a biopic of her life, and I would have liked it even more. Meryl Streep did an amazing job (Amy Adams definitely pulled her weight as well). I loved learning about Julia's relationship with her husband, and his full support of her endeavors.

I love movies about people "finding themselves," or finding their passion in life. Whenever I see a movie, or read a book with that premise, I usually leave feeling inspired if it is done right, and Julie and Julia was done right.

Great movie all in all. And I'll leave you with the same warning my friend Stephanie gave to me. Plan on being hungry when it's over! Luckily, Kimberly and I had thought about that and decided to grab a bite to eat afterwards.

No comments: