
I was at work shelving and noticed this book by Lynne Cheney (yes, the former VP's wife and no, I am not a fan of his). I decided to look at Utah's page where, among other things, I read a small factoid about how a woman named Martha Hughes Cannon was the first female state senator elected in the United States and that she had actually run as a Democrat against her Republican husband. Those facts alone were enough to get me extremely interested in this woman's story. So when I got home I looked her up on Wikipedia.
She was also a suffragist, a women's right advocate, a doctor, and a POLYGAMIST. One of those things is not like the other, right?!
I am still really interested in reading more about her life and am hoping my work will order this book so I don't have to buy it myself.
1 comment:
She sounds fascinating! Let us know what else you find out about her.
Post a Comment