Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Whip It



I know next to nothing about roller derby, but I still really enjoyed this movie. The cast is great- Ellen Page, Alia Shawkat (from Arrested Development), Drew Barrymore, Kristen Wiig, and Juliette Lewis (with an added bonus of Jimmy Fallon).

Ellen Page plays a girl in a small town who enters beauty paegants for her mother even though she doesn't want to. She really doesn't know what she wants to do with her life, until she attends a roller derby game in nearby Austin, Texas. When she tells the team leader named Maggie Mayhem of the Hurl Scouts that they are her new heroes, she tells her to put on some skates and become her own hero. And throughout the rest of the movie, she does just that. And not just by becoming a part of the time, although that's most of it.

I love movies with strong female characters, especially young ones. Plus, it's just fun to watch.

No comments: