Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Princess and the Frog



Just a warning: this post is going to prove how much I over think things. At least in this instance, I'll blame it on the gender studies class I took on discrimination.

I did not want to see The Princess and the Frog. Why? I thought that the movie must be racist because the first black princess Disney features turns into a frog. Dumb, huh? I also didn't like what I heard about their stereotypical use of voodoo magic or about how she's a poor waitress.

I think you'll all realize where I am going with this. One, I need to calm down a bit. Disney is not out to make a political statement here. Two, Disney proved me wrong. They made Tiana out to be, in my opinion, one of the strongest princesses.

Spoilers possible from this point on, so beware if you haven't seen the movie yet:

At the beginning of the movie, I still thought I was right. Tiana was, of course low income, and her friend was rich. Then she's a waitress and still poor and her friend's still rich. I cannot tell you how much it pleases me that Tiana ends up achieving her dream of owning a restaurant plus gets to fall in love and her spoiled rotten (albeit still kinda sweet) friend doesn't. I also love that Tiana saves Naveen... usually the Disney price saves the princess. I just love that she works for what she wants and I think that makes her one of the strongest princesses yet. I also enjoyed the banter because normally Disney lacks in that aspect.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

My girls love this movie. It's the first Disney show I've seen in a while that I have really liked.