Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bad News

It seems like this has been a week of bad news (well, for liberally-minded people like myself). I was even on vacation and missed a lot of news, but here is what I did hear and am not happy about:

Residential segregation in West Valley- Institutional discrimination in the form of residential segregation and then blaming the victim for the outcome. Classic. I love Buckner's attitude, but it doesn't seem to be the norm.

Rep. Sandstrom's bill passed- I'm glad the bill was toned down, but I still don't think it should have been passed in the first place. I do have hope that the bill won't be put into effect frequently, due to one of the wording changes. He changed the wording from "shall check status" of someone being charged with a misdemeanor, to "may check status." I know Chief Burbank is against this bill, and I honestly hope he tells SLC cops not to do it since it isn't a requirement under this new bill.

The recurring tuition bill- I feel like this is introduced every legislative session in Utah. It's great it hasn't passed yet, and I hope it doesn't this year either. I can even give a scriptural argument against it- the 2nd Article of Faith and Moses 6:54 (not that I think illegal immigration is necessarily a sin). If these youth have graduated high school while dealing with all of the challenges immigrants usually face (poverty, language struggles, etc.), then they deserve the chance to go to college at a reasonable price.

And I hope this one doesn't pass either- I know this is where some of us may part ways- just remember that me being pro-choice doesn't mean I am pro-abortions. There's a big difference. Anyways, I get that our government needs to cut some spending, but to fully block one group's aid because they perform abortions (which are not done on the government's dollar) is not about saving money. It's about Republicans being ridiculous. Planned Parenthood is about so much more than abortions- go here to read a better post on the situation. I used Planned Parenthood for pap smears and birth control when we didn't have insurance.

My next post will be happy- we took a spontaneous trip this week and I'll tell you all about it.

No comments: