Monday, February 7, 2011

The Mysterious, Happy Life of Brown Bag


Weird title, right? I'm sure you're all wondering what it is all about.

Last week, I got to attend a staff development day held by the library system since I still sub there. One of the breakout sessions was a one-act play written by Greg Near from the marketing department. It won Best Play and Best Production in the 2010 Page to Stage Festival in SLC. Simply put, it was amazing.

It's about B.B., a boy who was born with a brown bag as a head. Sounds stupid, right? Just stay with me. The three characters are B.B., his mom and his 1st grade teacher. His mom is all about how wonderful he is, and his teacher is all about the problems he causes, all the questions he asks, and her feelings against mainstreaming. And this is where the brown bag comes in. It's standing in for ANY disability/difference you could think of. Once that hit me, I couldn't get this play out of my head. I still can't now, a week later. Things happen, and the teacher changes her mind about him. I won't give any more of it away, in case any of you ever gets the chance to see it. I hope you do. I do know that they (the Pygmalion Theatre Company) are trying to get funding to take it to colleges around the state and show it to education majors. I really hope they can, because I think it would be a great thing for our future teachers to see.

P.S. I know the picture is small. I can't resize it bigger, but it at least gives you an idea how they portrayed B.B.

No comments: