Sunday, February 20, 2011

Redemption


The day was not going well. You finished your third episode of Dora the Explorer, and screamed when I said "no" to another episode. I didn't want to go out in the snow, but I knew it would change your attitude. I asked your Dad to take you, but he didn't want to either. We're not perfect parents, but we redeem ourselves sometimes. I took you out, because you needed it. You were getting cranky. I got you into your snow gear, grumbling inside the whole time. We headed out, you insisting on walking down the stairs yourself as usual. You exclaimed "Snow!" as soon as you saw the courtyard.

The crisp air.

The beauty of fresh snow.

And your sudden mood change all started to change my mood.

We started walking along the road, and I heard the "swish-swish" of your snow pants rubbing together as you walked. Your snow gear is a mish-mash of styles and sizes, but mostly sizes. Your boots are size 5, and are getting too small. They will barely last us the winter season. Your hat is getting snug even though it is supposed to be one size fits all. Your coat, however, is the same coat we used on you LAST YEAR! I have a hard time believing it, even though I see it every time we put it on you. It's 6-12 months, and you're still wearing it at 19 months.

There are puddles along the way and I show you how to splash, though I might regret that later. We continue along our way. You trip and as I'm coming to help, you ask for it. We've been working on saying or signing "help" when you need it, and you did it. I felt the familiar sense of pride I feel when you master something new. You get up and keep going, pointing out trees, walking through more puddles, and saying "car" or "truck" whenever one drives by. After more wandering, you reach your arms up to me for me to pick you up and you say "Dada." I ask if you want to go home, and you say "Yeah." You are ready go go back in before me, which never happens. Our walks don't always end on good terms for that reason. I hold you for the walk back, singing "ABC" and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" to you. We arrive home, both as happy as can be.

P.S. Hopefully Brayden reads this someday, and if he does- your dad was putting on his boots so he could come outside as we came in. He asked if you wanted to go back out with him, and you of course said "yeah." So you got to have two walks out in the snow, and your dad redeemed himself too.

No comments: