Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Badges of Motherhood

I earned yet another badge of motherhood today. One of the physical ones. I don't know yet if it will be a temporary one or a permanent one.

So far, the only permanent badge I have are the stretch marks on my stomach. I bet they'll fade after I finish having kids and get in better shape, but if they don't I couldn't care less. The website The Shape of a Mother has helped me reach that clarity.

And the temporary ones: well, as any pregnant woman can attest, they start before you meet your baby. From a bigger chest  to red splotchy itchy skin to a growing bump, signs of motherhood are all around.

Up to a third of women have a permanent c-section scar. I don't know for myself how it would feel to have one, but I'm sure the feelings range from the extreme of gratitude (if the surgery was lifesaving) to regret (if the experience was traumatic).

If you breastfed, you'll know those badges. Engorgement, plugged ducts, and maybe even teeth marks. All temporary, thank goodness!

And the bags under my eyes and constant yawning, well, I'm starting to think that might be permanent. Especially since Brayden isn't sleeping through the night yet.

For some time, I had blisters on my hands constantly from carrying his car seat. My biceps grew stronger.

As for today? We had a wonderful breakfast at a restaurant in downtown Provo and decided to walk around afterwards. Brayden was playing on a raised concrete enclosed garden (only dirt, no flowers yet) between the sidewalk and road. He started walking towards the road side and was about to step down. I went to get him, and tripped.  The gash isn't long, but is somewhat deep.   It really hurts tonight, and my arms do too from trying to catch my fall. I really hope it doesn't leave a permanent scar. If it does, Brayden will hear about it to no end.

What are your badges of motherhood?

No comments: